Don’t overpromise and underdeliver. A printer in Ohio promotes PURL campaigns and touts response rates of 25% on its home page. Regardless of how it’s worded, that extraordinary success rate is what people will see, remember and expect. Why set your customers up for disappointment?
Extra effort matters. According to Seth Godin, it’s the last 10% of quality that requires the greatest amount of effort. But it’s also the last 10% that will set your company apart from the competition; the other 90% is the easy part that everyone is doing. A little extra attention to your website, your phone routing system, marketing efforts, etc., will always give you a competitive advantage.
Useful content means competitive edge. Too many websites are short on great content and long on “blah.” Not only does that type of self-promotion significantly impact search engine optimization, it also detracts from any competitive advantages your company may have. Your website must answer one central question: What makes your company unique? I’ll cover this topic more in future issues but for now, the message is simple. Start now (and don’t stop) adding content to your website that will offer value to visitors. Blogs, newsletters, and white papers are great examples.
I spend at least several hours per week seeking out and reading articles that I think would be of value to the print community. It’s far too much info for me to be writing about in our Marketing Briefs, but I do post a few each week on our company’s Facebook page.